Select Page

Just over a week ago I recanted the tale of my FPV250L Quadcopter build. It didn’t have the best ending as the power from the tiny Multistar motors was marginal at best. Well now all of the upgrades have arrived – enter the FPV250L Quadcopter… rebooted!

The problem…

IMG_20140621_235317I bought the FPV250 longframe from HobbyKing with the “recommended” setup – the Multistar 1704-1900Kv motors, 3 blade 5030 props and 1000mah 3-cell LiPos.

The performance was pretty ordinary on that setup with the quad hovering around 60-70% throttle and the low voltage alarm sounding within seconds of take-off as the cells struggled to keep up with the demand.

HobbyKing had just released the new 2206-2150Kv “Baby Beast” motors, so I put an order in for 4 of those along with a few 1300mah high C rating LiPos and 2 blade 5030 GemFan props. The 1300 cells were the first to arrive and just these made a marked improvement to the performance, although the top-end power was still marginal.

FPV250L Quadcopter “Rebooted”

I not only wanted to give the FV250L a boost in power, I also wanted to tidy up the build. HobbyKing had just released the new micro power distribution boards so I added a couple to the order.

The “Baby Beast” motors are larger than the originals and fitted easily using the screws supplied with the frame (no screws are supplied with the motors themselves). I moved the Afro 12A ESCs to the underside of the arms. I had already taken the decision to fit the frame legs to this version as most of the places I fly have long or wet grass.

Next came a lot of brave wire cutting and fiddly soldering as I fitted the power board under the flight controller, running wires out through the bottom of the frame and directly to the ESCs.

FPV250L QuadcopterFPV250L QuadcopterFPV250L QuadcopterFPV250L Quadcopter

With the new neater wiring I had freed up some space between the plates so I was able to move the Rx internally and the VTx forward slightly. The only other real change was the tiny Turnigy FPV camera. This had been a bit of a botch mount on the first version so for the rebuild I removed the mounting plate and attached the camera bracket directly to the lower frame. This is a much stronger mount and also allows me to adjust the tilt on the camera should I want to.

The result is a very neat looking frame that looks like it means business – but does all this hard work translate into performance?


Another maiden flight…

The first flight was made using the existing 3 blade 5030 props. To be honest I could barely control it! There was actually too much power and the throttle response in particular was so twitchy that I couldn’t keep it in a stable hover easily.

So, I switched to the 2 blade 5030 props, set up a flying session down the field with a mate, and tried again…

The performance was truly awesome! Hover is spot on the 50% throttle mark and there is plenty of power for high speed runs, flips, rolls and all kinds of 250 racing quad style mayhem. The 1300 cells get a little warm but nothing to worry about. I forgot to hook up the low voltage alarm on the KK2 for this session but was getting around 5-6 minutes out of a pack before I chickened out.


I’ve still got an awful lot to learn about this style of flying. Recent sessions trying to fly FPV in tight spaces have not gone so well and I’m already glad I ordered a dozen packs of props. Yes, the frame is heavier than similar carbon frames, which is probably costing me some duration and a little speed, but for the price I don’t think the FPV250L Quadcopter can be beaten – 5 stars now for this rebooted multirotor.

Incidentally – the tiny quad you can see in some of the video footage is Andrew’s (he of the sausage tray KFM6 wing) own design, hand cut 230mm carbon fiber frame. This unique frame is absolutely solid in the air and flies perfectly. I’m hoping Andrew will let me have the pattern for when the Red20RC CNC machine is up and running! (Also, you should see the 330mm Spider Hex he has just hand cut…)

FPV250L Quadcopter

Pin It on Pinterest