Select Page

As I prepare for the first autonomous flights of the foam board UAV, I thought I should respond to the many requests and release some sort of plans for this model!

Some notes about the Foam Board UAV Plans…

These plans are provided “as is” and are certainly not complete. They are more my collection of scale drawings that I used to cut the components for the prototype. I am intending to release more comprehensive plans/guides in the future although this will be as part of my Remote Pilot project and only if this model proves to be a viable reusable UAV.


The wings have no reinforcement in them save for the strength of the foam. The ailerons are driven by 9g servos that are embedded inside the wing with the servo arms protruding through slots cut into the bottom wing skins before folding.

This is a big wing so best to make it in two pieces and the join lastly. The wing mounts to the fuselage using BBQ skewers and rubber bands. I actually glue the piece cut from the access hatch in the fuselage to the underside of the wing so that it acts as a “key” for fitting the wing later on.

Nose section

I can’t remember if I built it into these drawings, but make sure the nose is very slightly wider than the fuselage box so that it slides on and off easily. The nose is held on with BBQ skewers much like the Flite Test power pods.


I’m still trying to work out the best placement for the formers so feel free to move them around to suit and make access easy. Double check the width of the tail formers as I can’t remember if these were the drawings where they were a bit narrow! The original idea was to have a recess in the underside of the rear fuselage to hold a battery if lots of camera gear was placed in the nose – hence the shorter formers.


The servos for the v-tail are embedded in the tail surfaces close to the center line so that they fall within the fuselage width. I found that I needed to fit the firewall, motor and ESC before finally gluing the tail in place to keep everything nicely hidden away.


The prototype uses a Turnigy Park 480 motor and 30A ESC. With a 3-cell 2200mah Lipo and 3-blade 10×6 prop it is actually very overpowered. You could get away with a much smaller/lighter set up and have a really efficient airframe.

You’ll need a radio with V-Tail mixing but otherwise there are no special requirements to actually get this model airborne.

Feel free to leave any questions in the comments below and I’ll do my best to answer them!

Pin It on Pinterest